1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Education is obviously the basic instrument of economic growth and technological advancement of any society. It is in recognition of this fact that governments commit immense resources to ensure the provision of education for their citizens and also tailored their policies towards ensuring that it is made accessible to the generality of their citizenry (Oyebade et al., 2008). However, business education is an essential element of this general education. It is concerned with the impartation of business orientation and knowledge for personal and national development. Business education involves teaching students the fundamentals, concepts, theories and processes of business. To Okoli (2010), business education is an important part of the general education which emphasizes on skills and competencies acquisition for use in offices and business related occupations. Similarly, Nwanewezi (2010) describes business education as encompassing education for office occupations, business teaching, business administration and economic understanding.
In all, Abdulkadir (2011) noted that one remarkable important characteristic of business education program is that, its products can function independently as self-employed and employers of labor. To this end, the tenet of business education embraces basic education for teaching career, entrepreneurship, business understanding, office environment and vocational practices. Education in this field occurs at several levels, including primary, secondary and higher education, with the greatest activity in the later. However, Igboke (2005) enumerated the following as the objectives of business education at all levels of education:
- To develop basic skills for personal use in the future
- To acquire the basic knowledge and skills of business education
- To relate the knowledge and skills acquired to national development
- To develop basic skills in office occupation
- To provide the needed background for teaching in business subjects
- To prepare students for further training in business studies
- To provide orientation and basic skills with which to start a life of work for those who may not undergo further training. For education to really serve as a veritable vehicle for socioeconomic growth and development as well as for the actualization of these lofty objectives of business education in tandem, educational institutions and its systems must function optimally in relation to its set standards. Historically, business education did not come about in Nigeria through government, but through the individual initiative of a few Nigerian entrepreneurs. Such individuals were quick to realize the importance of business education not only to their personal, but also to national economic growth and development. As a matter of fact, prior to Nigeria’s independence and 10 years after, business teacher education, like other vocational and technical education disciplines, was not given any thought in Nigerian teacher education curricula. This is not to say that the Colonial educational administrators did not recognize the importance of this form of teacher education. As reported by Ekpenyong (1992), some form of business and technical teacher education programme was introduced in the curricula of Higher College, Yaba (1932-47), and of Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology (1954-61).
Business education exposes students to different ways of being innovative, It also facilitates Job Competence, as well as development of understanding for vocational opportunities available in the field of business. Entrepreneurship without adequate education, knowledge and skills, usually leads to failure. Judging by the figures that are coming out of the Education Ministry. In the last few years, at least 60% of graduates are not able to get employment immediately which does not encourage economic growth (Lawal 2005). Because of that, people go into one entrepreneurial venture or another, but unfortunately, they have not been adequately prepared to face the attendant challenges in business. Now it has become necessary to incorporate Business education into the curriculum in order to prepare our graduates for self-employment.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Business Education is a type of training which, while playing its part in the achievement of the general aims of education on any given level, has its primary objective as the preparation of people to enter into a career, to render efficient service and to advance from their present level of employment to higher levels which always have significance effect on the economic development (Osuala 2003). Basic Business Education affords to every individual an opportunity to develop the skills, abilities and understanding that will enable him to handle competently his personal business affairs; to develop an understanding of the vocational opportunity available in the broad field of business and to assume his citizenship responsibilities through enlightened participation in, as well as an understanding and appreciation of the business system (Osuala 2003). Furthermore, Basic Business Education is the broad area of knowledge that deals with the economy. It identifies and explains the role of business as an economic institution and provides content and experience that prepare the individual for effective participation as a citizen and consumer. The researcher is examining the relevance of business education on the economic development of Nigeria.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To examine the relevance of Business education program on economic development of Nigeria.
2. To examine how the Business education program in Nigeria is operated.
3. To determine the relationship between Business education program and economic development of Nigeria.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the relevance of Business education program on economic development of Nigeria?
2. How is the Business education program in Nigeria operated?
3. What is the relationship between Business education program and economic development of Nigeria?
HO: There is no significant relationship between Business education program and economic development of Nigeria
HA: There is significant relationship between Business education program and economic development of Nigeria
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. Results from this study will educate the government of Nigeria, stakeholders in the business sector on the relevance of business education on the economic development of Nigeria.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
This study on a survey on the relevance of business education program to economic development of Nigeria will cover the Curriculum of business education from primary to tertiary education level in Nigeria with the view of identifying the influence on the Nigeria economic development.
LIMITATION OF STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
How do i choose a Project Topic?
Look for your department and select any topic of your choice
I have a fresh topic that is not on your website. How do I go about it?
How fast can i get a complete project from your website?
Within 15 minutes if the exact project topic is on our website
Is it a complete research project or just materials?
It is a Complete Research Project i.e Chapters 1-5, Abstract, Table of Contents, Full References, Questionnaires / Secondary Data
One of your topics suites my project, but the case study is different. What do i do?
Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
How do i get my complete project?
Your Complete Project Material will be sent to your Email Address in Ms Word document format
Can I get my Complete Project through WhatsApp?
Yes! We can send your Complete Research Project to your WhatsApp Number
What if my Project Supervisor made some changes to a topic i picked from your website?
Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
Do you assist students with Assignment and Project Proposal?
Yes! Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
What if i do not have any project topic idea at all?
Smiles! We've Got You Covered. Chat with us on WhatsApp Now to Get Instant Help: +234 814 010 7220
How can i trust this site?
We are well aware of fraudulent activities that have been happening on the internet. It is regrettable, but hopefully declining. However, we wish to reinstate to our esteemed clients that we are genuine and duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission as "PRIMEDGE TECHNOLOGY". This site runs on Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), therefore all transactions on this site are HIGHLY secure and safe!